In which a school-loving graduate student reflects on the balance and intersections among her life as a doctoral candidate, her love of all things knitting-related, and her adventures mothering an amazing boy along with her wife!

Monday, February 11, 2008

One day, three blizzards

I can't say that I've ever truly been in a blizzard. Huge snowstorms, yes. A blizzard, no. As a young 'un I used to dream of being in a blizzard as I read Little House on the Prairie books. Somehow it seemed exciting and dreamy. I'm sure it was hellish in reality, but I'm a sucker for snow, what can I say. Always have been, always will be.

Yesterday, however, was perhaps my first time. And I got to experience it three times over.

It started as a normal day with some sun. As the day progressed, the clouds rolled in. As I sat working in my tree house of an office, I watched it become darker outside as the cloud cover rolled in. Then, all of a sudden I heard the wind whip up, and upon looking out I saw what I can only call snow madness. Snow was coming down hard. I couldn't see very far beyond our yard. It was snowing up. It was snowing down. Really, in all directions. I watched it cover the neighbor's roof in a matter of seconds. And then, as fast as it started, it stopped. Within 10 minutes, the sun came out again, and I heard the telltale dripping sound of melting snow. Within 30 minutes, you'd never have known it had just snowed. Or blizzarded.

I was a bit stunned.

Then, to top it off, it happened again. And again. I kid you not. Truly some bizarre weather. By the end of the day, I think the outside temperature had dropped 20 degrees, the wind was blowing like crazy, and the snow from the final blizzard was blowing all over the place.

That's what I like on a Sunday. A good bit of drama.

No comments: