In which a school-loving graduate student reflects on the balance and intersections among her life as a doctoral candidate, her love of all things knitting-related, and her adventures mothering an amazing boy along with her wife!

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Voting

I just returned from voting and had to note some of things I love about doing it here in my current hometown:

1. When they check my name off the list, I see that about 98% of folks are registered Democrats. Yeah, I know that heterogeneity is good, but heck, it's nice to be surrounded by pretty-much-likeminded folk.

2. There are tons of voting stations near me, so my voting site feels homey. The same warm, older folks greet me and thank me for voting each time I do it. We bubble in our votes in black marker. I usually know the name of one person or another on the ballot running for something local. I love knowing that I inserted ballot 304 into the voting machine today.

3. Somehow it's always raining when I vote. I feel extra gratitude and respect for those hearty supporters who stand outside the polling place in the rain, signs covered in clear plastic in order to drum up last-minute support for their candidates of choice.

Intrigued to see the results on this most super of Tuesdays....

No comments: