In which a school-loving graduate student reflects on the balance and intersections among her life as a doctoral candidate, her love of all things knitting-related, and her adventures mothering an amazing boy along with her wife!

Monday, September 17, 2007

Just when I'm at the end of my rope....

Q has never been a good sleeper. Ever. It seems, often, that our lives revolve around sleep: trying to help him sleep, being sure he gets enough sleep, compensating when he doesn't get enough sleep. And here he is, 4.5, still needing a nap every day. And needing it badly.

So he goes to school, can't nap there because, well, it's school and not dark and quiet. When he gets home, he crashes. Except today he didn't. Because of a confluence of events, he couldn't fall asleep. I was frustrated. Very frustrated. And not at ALL looking forward to what was to come during the rest of the evening.

He stayed in his room, having some quiet time, listening to stories on the iPod. I heard him puttering around, being quite peaceful. Good. One sigh of relief. I heard him dressing himself and then he came out to ask for some scissors. He wore a blue string tank top (complete with frilly bottom) and shorts. When I went in to get him a few minutes later, he was wearing a purple string tank top. Same shorts. And his four OTHER string tank tops were all hanging neatly off of the drawer pull knobs on his dresser. A bit like an art installation in their array of colors. It was too much! I can't find our camera, but when I do, I'll be sure to post pictures.

I think that my afternoon and mood was revived by this industrious boy who so loves his tank tops, organizing his things, and making it easier. As he said, "Now I don't have to bend down all the way and open my drawer. I can see all of my tank tops right here." Then he stood back, studied them, and proceeded to spend five minutes deciding which one he'll wear tomorrow.

What a boy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it-so logical! Reminds me of a phase I went through in Kindergarten, when I wore my pajamas all day under my clothes. You know, to save time getting ready for bed in the evening.

Jen said...

and I am still wondering: what did he use the scissors for?!! I was worried for his wardrobe for a minute there and was expecting him to come out with a crop top a la George Michael in the "wake me up before you go-go" video!

megin said...

Luckily the scissors were to cut some tape for "construction" work. He'd never cut those beloved tank tops!