In which a school-loving graduate student reflects on the balance and intersections among her life as a doctoral candidate, her love of all things knitting-related, and her adventures mothering an amazing boy along with her wife!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The least-expected places

I could make this a nice, sappy, poetic post about how you find happiness, peace, friendship, etc in places where you least expect it.

But no. For me, it's all about the hot chocolate. The GOOD hot chocolate. By that I mean hot chocolate that has a deep rich taste. That tends more towards the dark chocolate taste than the milk. That doesn't taste watery and doesn't taste powdery. You perhaps know what I mean.

So, you may ask, where does this whole "least-expected places" bit come in?

Today I was off at a local beloved tea shop, grabbing a few minute's break from school. After choosing some lovely teas for a swap, I spied their sign advertising hot chocolate. Not only hot chocolate, but coconut hot chocolate. I'm a sucker for the coconuts, so I had to give it a try. This was in spite of my hesitation of it being hot chocolate from a tea shop, and all.

After I ordered, the woman pulled out some coconut tea. I hesitated because I don't do caffeine (hence the use of chocolate as an upper -- not bad, eh?). She said she could, instead, use coconut syrup. So, in spite of my interest in what tea-infused hot chocolate might taste like, I went for the safer, non-jitter-inducing choice.

And wouldn't you know, 'twas one of the best hot chocolates of the season. Rich. Chocolately. Deeply flavorful. And all with a wonderful, smooth hint of coconut. From a place where I admittedly least expected to find a yummy hot chocolate. Those kinds of discoveries, to me, are the best.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait. So there's no caffeine in chocolate anymore? Now THAT would be something.

I can't even imagine how good coconut syrup makes stuff. Caffeine or no, that itself has to be an upper.

megin said...

okay okay. there is caffeine, but it totally affects me differently than tea or coffee caffeine. does that count? perhaps i'll say that the chocolate mediates the caffeine content in such a way that it doesn't make me crazy. that would mean i NEED the chocolate, right?

yeah, coconut syrup perhaps should be a pantry mainstay...