In which a school-loving graduate student reflects on the balance and intersections among her life as a doctoral candidate, her love of all things knitting-related, and her adventures mothering an amazing boy along with her wife!

Sunday, November 18, 2007

More politics plus some swappage....

I guess it's just the season. But here I am posting for the second time in a few days about politics. Whoa is me, as it's not my usual MO.

But how can I avoid commenting on the lunacy of a president who says he will not sign a bill that eliminates or revises the alternative minimum tax if it requires any new taxes. Namely, the democrats crafted a bill changing the AMT and in turn invoking a new tax related to taxing fund managers (I believe). It's a clear swap of removing taxes from the not super wealthy (middle income only) and placing them instead on the can-"sacrifice"-much-more easily richer folks. But to Bush, this is NOT okay. Of course not. And of course, in the republican mindset, you don't need super-high tax revenue because the name of the game is small government. And yet there's the TRILLIONS we spend on Irag. I don't know where the whole small government thing went. But I do know that the AMT is hurting folks who don't need to be dinged any further. I'm not even one of them, falling way below that income bracket, but I fear that extra penalty one day.

Mostly, I despise the hypocrisy and the mentality of watching out for those who have while giving not an iota for those who don't (can we talk children's health care bill?). Ugh.

No comments: