In which a school-loving graduate student reflects on the balance and intersections among her life as a doctoral candidate, her love of all things knitting-related, and her adventures mothering an amazing boy along with her wife!

Monday, November 12, 2007

A long-lost FO, new yarn, bliss

'Twas a blissful weekend with my parents around and Q being thrilled at each and every thing they did together.

Cleaning being TOP on that list. He and grandma are nicknamed the "Dirt Tigers." Could you ask for anything more?



Last week I scored some new, wonderful yarn at a LYS that's going out of business. I'd only shopped there once prior, but being there, I became wistful that I hadn't known them better during their in-business time, as it was a nice space and super-friendly owner (who even looked up a pattern for me so I could find the right yarn!).

On the bright side, though, I added some great yarns to my stash. Especially inspirational sock yarns for my yet-to-begin sock-knitting habit. Please comment with any "getting over the fear of knitting socks ideas!"

For your viewing pleasure:


Lovely, lovely, lovely yarn, and so squishy!
Panda Cotton: Of this yarn I've heard much ado...I love that it includes bamboo (that did NOT rhyme intentionally!)
Amazingly soft cashmerino for the aforementioned pattern.
And who can resist sock yarn that includes soy? So silky!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megin, I'm totally with you on your fear of sock-knitting. I haven't even started knitting in the round yet! But I plan to try socks at the beginning of next year at the latest!

Chelsea said...

Socks are not nearly so scary once you actually get started on one. And turning the heel is absolutely MAGIC!

I've been recommending Fuzzy Feet on Knitty as a first "sock" pattern. It's big yarn on big needles, since it's felted, but the pattern itself is just a giant sock. I think it's a lot easier to do a first sock without worrying about the tiny.

(here via the NaBloPoMo thread at Ravelry)